A periodontal assessment is one of the most important things you can do to prevent or treat gum disease!
Periodontal (gum) diseases, including gingivitis and periodontitis, are serious infections that occur when a bacterial infection develops where the gums join the teeth.
Oral bacteria release toxins and enzymes that can cause a number of problems with the tissues that surround and support your teeth. If left uncontrolled or untreated, these bacteria can trigger inflammatory responses in the tissues surrounding and supporting the teeth. This can lead to bone loss, receding gums, and eventually, tooth loss and affect one tooth or many teeth.
CAUSES OF PERIODONTAL DISEASE
- ✓ Inadequate Oral Hygiene
- ✓ Stress
- ✓ Poor Nutrition
- ✓ Smoking/Tobacco Use
- ✓ Genetics
- ✓ Puberty, Pregnancy, Menstruation, Menopause and the Pill
- ✓ Medications
- ✓ Clenching or grinding your teeth (bruxism)
- ✓ Diabetes
- ✓ Other Systemic Diseases
TYPE OF PERIODONTIC DISEASE
There are many forms of periodontal disease, the most common ones include:
- ✓ Gingivitis
- ✓ Aggressive Periodontitis
- ✓ Chronic Periodontitis
- ✓ Necrotizing Periodontal Diseases
- ✓ Periodontists as a Manifestation of Systemic Diseases