Oral Health is a very important aspect of Overall Health.
Your mouth is a window into what's going on in the rest of your body, often serving as a helpful vantage point for detecting the early signs and symptoms of disease.
The Focus of Family Dentistry
- ✓To help you maintain impeccable oral health by educating you on good home care and developing a professional preventative maintenance program that is customized to your needs.
- ✓Detecting and fixing dental issues as early as possible to prevent them from becoming major issues
- ✓To help you to understand the connection between your Oral Health and your Overall Health, and educate you on how to improve or maintain both!
Benefits of a Customized Maintenance Program
- ✓Detect and treat minor problems involving your teeth, gums, bone jaw joints and sinuses before they become major problems
- ✓Preventing major problems will improve your oral health as well as your overall health, and also prevent discomfort and save you time and money in the future!
- ✓Regular cleaning removes plaque and tartar making for cleaner, whiter teeth and improves your overall health, not to mention a dazzling smile!
- ✓Did you know that the bacteria in dental plaque have been linked to a higher incident of heart disease and birth defects?
About Plaque, Tartar, & Periodontal Disease
Brushing regularly and flossing at least once a day to disrupts plaque formation.
What is Plaque?
Plaque is a combination of food particles and bacteria and start forming within 6-12 hours after brushing. The bacteria in this plaque produces acids and toxins, which decay your teeth, inflame your gums and bone, and enter your bloodstream, thereby having a detrimental effect on your Overall Health!
What is Tartar, & how is it related to Periodontal Disease?
Tartar (or Calculus) forms when Plaque is undisrupted (by proper brushing and flossing) and is allowed to calcify by combining with minerals from your saliva. This resulting hard deposit then becomes difficult or impossible to remove by brushing and flossing, and is the focus of your professional cleaning and maintenance program. Your Hygienist evaluates your individual rate of formation of plaque and tartar and recommends a program that is customized to your needs!
Tartar build with its associated bacteria then inflames the gums, causing bleeding, and inflames the bone, causing resorption (bone loss) and this process is known as Periodontal Disease or Gum Disease.
Once Periodontal Disease is established, toxins from bacteria and by products of bone and gum tissue destruction (pus) are swallowed when you eat and are free to enter your blood stream, thereby leading to systemic (overall) health problems.Periodontal Disease has been linked to many other systemic diseases such as heart disease and low-birth weight babies, among others. For an independent report on these findings, click here.
The best treatment for Periodontal Disease is prevention. Regular check-ups and meticulous professional cleanings, along with proper home care, will help prevent these serious conditions.
We at Dentistry at Vitality Health are strong advocates of prevention dentistry. Our goal is to strive to ensure that each of our patients is in the top 1% of the population when it comes to dental health!
Our Dentists and Dental Hygienists will develop a personalized program for you that is easy to follow and will ensure that you improve and then maintain optimal oral health,and thereby positively influence your overall health!
Get on your way to better health today with a customized Vitality Preventative Maintenance Program. Give us a call today